I understand the need to be in control, it is something I practice everyday with my children! I’m the mama, so therefore I am in control….but come on, facebook has to change the rules again? I thought this was supposed to the BEST SOCIAL NETWORKING site?!?! If they won’t even let us NETWORK….why would we wont to be a part? Oh, yeah, because facebook is THE LARGEST SOCIAL NETWORK there is…..well isn’t the quite the catch 22?
So for all of us hardworking mamas trying to grow our businesses (or help others grow!!) this has put quite the damper on things such as giveaways, flash games, comment games and more! Read the direct info below :
Date of Last Revision: May 11, 2011
These Promotion Guidelines, along with the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, the Ad Guidelines, the Platform Policies and all other applicable Facebook policies, govern your communication about or administration of any contest, competition, sweepstakes or other similar offering (each, a “promotion”) using Facebook.
If you use Facebook to communicate about or administer a promotion, you are responsible for the lawful operation of that promotion, including the official rules, offer terms and eligibility requirements (e.g., age and residency restrictions), and compliance with regulations governing the promotion and all prizes offered in connection with the promotion (e.g., registration and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals). Please note that compliance with these Guidelines does not constitute the lawfulness of a promotion. Promotions are subject to many regulations and if you are not certain that your promotion complies with applicable law, please consult with an expert.
- Promotions on Facebook must be administered within Apps on Facebook.com, either on a Canvas Page or an app on a Page Tab.
- Promotions on Facebook must include the following:
a. A complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant.
b. Acknowledgment that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
c. Disclosure that the participant is providing information to [disclose recipient(s) of information] and not to Facebook.
- You must not use Facebook features or functionality as a promotion’s registration or entry mechanism. For example, the act of liking a Page or checking in to a Place cannot automatically register or enter a promotion participant.
- You must not condition registration or entry upon the user taking any action using any Facebook features or functionality other than liking a Page, checking in to a Place, or connecting to your app. For example, you must not condition registration or entry upon the user liking a Wall post, or commenting or uploading a photo on a Wall.
- You must not use Facebook features or functionality, such as the Like button, as a voting mechanism for a promotion.
- You must not notify winners through Facebook, such as through Facebook messages, chat, or posts on profiles or Pages.
- You may not use Facebook’s name, trademarks, trade names, copyrights, or any other intellectual property in connection with a promotion or mention Facebook in the rules or materials relating to the promotion, except as needed to fulfill your obligations under Section 2.
a. By “administration” we mean the operation of any element of the promotion, such as collecting entries, conducting a drawing, judging entries, or notifying winners.
b. By “communication” we mean promoting, advertising or referencing a promotion in any way on Facebook, e.g., in ads, on a Page, or in a Wall post.
c. By “contest” or “competition” we mean a promotion that includes a prize of monetary value and a winner determined on the basis of skill (i.e., through judging based on specific criteria).
d. By “sweepstakes” we mean a promotion that includes a prize of monetary value and a winner selected on the basis of chance.
(Actual page found here : http://www.facebook.com/promotions_guidelines.php)
That being stated above, tells me no matter how hard I try, it will never REALLY be possible to have a contest or promotions via facebook fan pages again. I totally think it sucks (not a phrase I sue to often!!) that facebook thinks it necessary to make it soooo difficult to have a bit of fun. Yes, RULES, they are very important….just ask my kids, but wow!!
Okay, now that you have read the above and I have blown off some of my steam….here is how it will affect the Mama’s Coffee Shop fan page….it won’t by much!
I am moving any and all contests, promotions, etc….to the blog.
We can promote via the fan page, as long as the actual promotion isn’t being HELD on the fan page….so, in a bit, I will take the time to transfer all of the My Birthday & 500Fan Auction Album items to the blog. Once we reach 500 fans on the page, I will post the link to the Auction Album….promote away if you are a sponsors, so that you can STILL get the FANS and STILL have a good time!
Holler if you have any questions about the above, I am always glad to help!
update : here is a blog post from another blog that has some extra info : http://buildalittlebiz.squarespace.com/blog/2011/5/13/understanding-the-rules-the-cans-cannots-of-facebook.html