I appreciate people that know more than I do. Because then I can get a small break from being the teacher around here!
My children have found a new love for school and they don’t even realize it.
Thanks to Curiosity Quest for allowing me to review DVD Combo Pack – Produce and DVD Combo Pack – Swimmers of the Sea. My 9 year old daughter has watched each episode at least 4 times already! She loves them! With so much to learn in this big crazy world, it is a wonderful change to let my children watch something educational with a host that seriously loves his job!
Joel Greene makes these videos fun! He is funny, energetic and up for learning new things all the time! Thanks for taking my kids on all of your quests, they sure have had fun!
Fun fact, fun fact, fun fact. Heeeeeeereeeee’s your fun fact! (The most loved part of the shows!)
DVD Combo Pack – Produce has three different episodes included on it. This DVD had some interesting quests on it. Joel made some rounds and learned about Mushrooms, Cranberries and Orange Packing. So many cool things to see and learn for the kids. Price for this DVD combo pack is $24.95.
Some fun facts from these episodes that my children learned:
- Did you know that Portobello mushrooms have tons of Vitamin D in them? (That’s wonderful, more mushrooms coming up for dinner soon!)
- Did you know that ripe cranberries float? The cranberry fields are harvested and all of the cranberries fall to the ground. The farmers then flood the fields with water and the ripe cranberries float to the waters surface. Then the farmers use a hose to gather the floating cranberries then transferring them to a conveyor belt. (That is a really cool process to watch!)
- Did you know that oranges are checked in a dark room with a black light to detect bruises, bumps and rotten spots? (No wonder we always have such wonderful oranges from the store!)
- Did you know that oranges are kept temperature controlled by misting machines? This way they can protect the fruit during an unusual cold spell.
These are only a few neat facts that the kid learned from these three episodes on the DVD. What an enjoyable way to learn about all of God’s amazing creations!
DVD Combo Pack – Swimmers of the Sea also has three different episodes included. By far my children enjoyed this DVD the most. It has some of God’s fantastic water creatures and they loved it! Joel made his way to Florida to the Turtle Hospital, he visited some penguins in California and learned all about salmon in Alaska. So many fun facts were taught during these episodes. Price for this DVD is $24.95.
Here are some more fun facts that the children learned:
- Did you know that penguins do make sounds? (I had no idea myself!) They make sounds that could be easily confused with a donkey. Yep, it is so funny to hear them. Who knew?!
- Did you know that salmon farmers are important to the survival of this fish? The farmers gather the adult salmon that return to spawn. They harvest the salmon eggs. Raise the baby salmon and once the salmon is full grown, the farmers use a salmon ladder to release the salmon back into the waters. The ladders help acclimate the fish to the salt content and the water temperature upon release.
- Did you know that sea turtles have a rehabilitation hospital in Florida? The hospital helps injured turtles and releases them back into nature. Some turtles though are unable to return to the sea. One such turtle that was unable to return to the sea is Bubble Butt, resident turtle at the hospital since 1989.
The kids absolutely enjoyed these DVDs and have already placed their requests for the ones that they want next. Curiosity Quest offers monthly plans for purchase as well as individual DVDs. The age this product is geared for is 7-14 year olds. My kiddos are 6, 9 1/2 & 13 so these were a perfect fit for my family!
Each episode runs about 30 minutes, So this is a nice break from the book work that goes on around here. These DVDs are also wonderful for those rainy days that pop up. These Curiosity Quest DVDs are a fantastic addition to our homeschooling video library.
I would be even more in love with these myself if the website would provide some easy worksheets to go with the episodes. We were lucky to get some worksheets from a fellow homeschooler. It was a wonderful way to wrap up our learning because the children had to completely process the information from the DVDs.
I hope you enjoyed this review and have now found something that you simply cannot live without!
You can follow Curiosity Quest via these social media outlets:
In His Grace.
Would you like to have all posts sent to you via email?